Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Land of Lamz

Friday, December 4, 2009

more reflections on dance

The practice spot.

I'm 2 1/2 years into freestyle dancing (prior to that I took dance classes 1-3 times a week since the age of 8) and now I realize how important it is to be able to master both freestyle and choreography. After 2 weeks of intense dance classes I feel very insecure in doing routines and choreography. This has also affected my freestyle, so much so that I feel that I have come to a dancer's block, so to speak.

I used to be confident and felt at home at the practice place and now I have come to a point where I am self- conscious at all times and cannot express myself as I wish to. Maybe I am plateauing and this is what I interpret as a block. There's no development as such. I am surrounded by inspiring dancers at all times and I am privileged to have a place to practice. Yet, endless steps, moves and styles will never be adequate if I can't find it in myself to just do it. Correction: to just feel it.
I will do it - if I can't I will try, but if I don't feel it - then it isn't dancing.

My conclusion for now will be that dancing cannot be summarized. It can hardly be described because it is personal and individual. I do not disagree with the previous post but a lot of dancers are performers and are part of shows and for them it is vital that they have the skill to learn a choreography. For me at least, both choreography and freestyle are equally important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I really appreciate it.

XOXO Lala